Como mayor bans bikes in city centre after being hit ‘by one of these beasts’
Alessandro Rapinese denies accusation he is waging personal vendetta against cyclists amid a public backlashThe mayor of Como set the wheels of controversy in motion for banning bikes in the walled historic centre of the lakeside city after being hit by one.Alessandro Rapinese’s ban, which comes into force in September, targets about 30 streets and means cyclists, whether it be those on e-bikes or push bikes, will have to dismount or walk their vehicles through those areas. Continue reading...
Sources & Citations
1 sourceMore Stories
Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General
• The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) is leading recovery efforts in Venezuela following a series of earthquakes and floods. • OCHA is currently coordinating support across 80 local and international organizations, working alongside government authorities to provide relief.
Read original · press.un.orgHarry and Meghan’s security funding on UK return is private matter, Burnham says
Prime minister wishes couple well in their move back from the US to a non-royal residence outside London• Harry and Meghan: key moments and controversies since US moveSecurity funding for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex when they return to live in the UK this month is a “private matter”, Andy Burnham has said.News of Harry and Meghan’s planned return to Britain from the US came as a surprise to many on Wednesday night; King Charles was only informed three days earlier. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comIsrael’s Ben-Gvir posts video of gallows site for hanging Palestinians
Far-right minister says those convicted in military courts of terror offences will be executed after passing of death penalty law that does not apply to IsraelisIsrael’s far-right national security minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, who has attracted international sanctions and condemnation for his activities, has posted a gloating video of the construction of the site of a gallows where Palestinians convicted of terror offences, but not Jewish extremists accused of similar crimes, will be hanged.Ben-Givr said the new execution site would be equipped with viewing booths where families of victims could watch the hangings. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comBoohoo fined €2.3m by French watchdog over deceptive discounts
Fashion site also broke rules on labelling by using terms ‘leather’ or ‘suede’ for synthetic productsThe British online fashion seller Boohoo has been fined €2.3m (£2m) by France’s consumer watchdog for deceptive practices such as offering fake discounts.The Manchester-based firm, whose parent company renamed itself Debenhams Group last year, was found to have exaggerated its discounts, giving shoppers a false impression of the savings they were making, according to the directorate-general for competition, consumer affairs and fraud Control. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com‘You have got to go’: former NSW minister tells Icac ‘something strange at play’ when she was sacked by Perrottet
Eleni Petinos tells inquiry her sacking as a minister in Dominic Perrottet’s government was potentially motivated by her reluctance to get rid of the building commissionerGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastThe former New South Wales fair trading minister Eleni Petinos has given evidence at a corruption inquiry that she may have been used by fellow Liberals to try to get rid of the building commissioner David Chandler, recounting numerous attempts in 2022 to persuade her he was “dodgy” and should be sacked.She has also told the Independent Commission Against Corruption (Icac) inquiry that her subsequent sacking as a minister in the Dominic Perrottet government in July 2022 – allegedly for bullying staff – was unfair and potentially motivated by her reluctance to sack the building commissioner. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comFounder of China’s Evergrande jailed for life after pleading guilty to fraud
Hui Ka Yan also forfeits all his personal property and the company he set up is given hefty finesBusiness live – latest updatesThe founder of Evergrande, one of China’s largest property developers, has been sentenced to life in prison and had all of his personal property confiscated.Hui Ka Yan, 67 and once named by Forbes as China’s richest man, with a net worth of $42.5bn (£31.2bn) in 2017, pleaded guilty in April to eight charges. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comDemocrats and Republican outraged over $40tn national debt – US politics live
Deficit has doubled over the past decade with spending growing under Trump and BidenUS gross national debt tops $40tn for first timeSign up for the US Breaking News emailHello and welcome to our live coverage of US politics.The US gross national debt reached $40tn for the first time on Wednesday, the highest in US history. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comNorth Korea fires 10 missiles day after Trump curtails South Korea joint drills
Launches, detected by South Korea and Japan, came after US scaled back exercises with South Korea in apparent overture to Kim Jong-unNorth Korea launched about 10 short-range ballistic missiles towards the sea on Thursday, South Korea’s military said, a day after North Korea shrugged off Trump’s order to scale back military drills with South Korea in an apparent bid to resume diplomacy.The joint chiefs of staff said the launches happened from North Korea’s capital region around 5pm (0800 GMT) on Thursday. The military said the missiles were launched towards North Korea’s eastern waters. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comFrustrated GP patients hang up as Yorkshire accent baffles AI receptionist
‘Emma’ the Rotherham chatbot has 17 languages says AI firm – but health watchdog says system struggling with local ‘twangs’Patients in a South Yorkshire town are frustrated by an AI GP receptionist not understanding their “broad accents”, a health watchdog has said.Healthwatch Rotherham, a local health and social care watchdog, said a number of practices in the area had introduced a new AI receptionist called Emma. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comFirst Thing: Israel admits its soldiers opened fire at car carrying five-year-old Hind Rajab
Israeli military orders criminal investigation into deaths of Hind and six family members. Plus, FCC chair Brendan Carr’s close coordination with White House revealedGood morning.The Israeli military admitted on Wednesday its troops had opened fire on a car carrying five-year-old Hind Rajab and six family members in Gaza in 2024, saying it had ordered a criminal investigation into the killing.What prompted the investigation? The Israel Defense Forces repeatedly denied its troops had been in the area, but investigations by the media and others found evidence that strongly suggested nearby Israeli tanks were responsible.How significant is it? The IDF published reviews on Wednesday into five high-profile incidents in Gaza. But criminal misconduct investigations into Israeli troops over the killing of Palestinians rarely lead to convictions. A UN report published in February described “a pervasive climate of impunity” by Israel in occupied Palestine.What is the wider context? In September last year, a UN commission found that Israel is committing genocide in Gaza, citing tens of thousands of civilian deaths and massive destruction.What did Béjar say in his testimony? That his job often included him briefing Meta’s chief executive, Mark Zuckerberg, on product issues. He estimated that he spoke to Zuckerberg at least 100 times. One email Béjar sent to Zuckerberg in 2021 showed the engineer warning of constant reports of harmful content and damage to teenage wellbeing on Facebook and Instagram. Béjar said he emailed Zuckerberg after the chief exrecutive publicly said the company did not prioritize profit over safety. Meta denies all allegations in the case. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comFrom ‘elation’ to ‘terrible news’ in 10 minutes: how the confusion over missing bushwalker Lily Hooper unfolded
The 18-year-old’s body was found in Nattai national park on Thursday – but initial police messages indicated she had been found alivePolice have blamed dense bushland and radio confusion for wrongly reporting to 18-year-old Lily Hooper’s parents, the New South Wales premier and the media that the missing bushwalker had been found alive.Hooper had last been seen on 12 August after leaving home for a hike in the rugged bushland of Nattai national park, 90km south-west of Sydney. She was reported missing that night, triggering a multi-agency search involving nearly 1,000 people, including hundreds of volunteers. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com