GameStop shares fall 10% after CEO skirts questions over eBay acquisition details
Ryan Cohen said he didnât understand questions about how the video games retailer could afford its $55.5bn bidSign up for the Breaking News US newsletter emailGameStopâs shares fell more than 10% on Monday as questions emerged about how the company would finance its surprise $55.5bn bid for eBay.In an interview with CNBC, Ryan Cohen, GameStopâs CEO, skirted repeated inquiries about how the video games retailer could afford the deal, saying he didnât understand the questions. Continue reading...
Sources & Citations
1 sourceMore Stories
Scotlandâs âgreen datacentresâ policy ignores emissions impact of AI, analysis shows
Definition of green facilities made in 2022, before release of ChatGPT, says Action to Protect Rural ScotlandA Scottish government policy designed to encourage datacentres to build in Scotland could lead to a massive volume of carbon emissions being ignored, according to an analysis by a Scottish charity.âGreen datacentresâ are at the heart of Scotlandâs ambitions to develop economically. Enshrined in national policy, they are part of a larger, UK-wide effort to attract big AI investment to Scotland. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comUK universities warn of cuts for impoverished students if dire funding issues continue
Nearly a third of vice-chancellors would cut hardship support if necessary over next three years, according to pollVice-chancellors have said they may need to cut hardship support for impoverished students and reduce outreach activities aimed at disadvantaged groups if the dire funding struggles at universities continue.The anonymous poll of leaders by Universities UK (UUK) revealed the extent of the budgetary quagmire facing higher education, with more than two-thirds prepared to cut staff jobs by compulsory redundancy if difficulties continue over the next three years, while nearly 90% said they were looking at hiring freezes or voluntary redundancies. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comGPS jammed on RAF jet carrying UK defence secretary close to Russian border
Russia suspected of obstructing signal on flight bringing John Healey home from visit to British troops in EstoniaAn RAF jet carrying the defence secretary, John Healey, had its signal jammed for the entire three-hour flight after it flew near the Russian border.Healey had been visiting British soldiers in Estonia and was travelling back to the UK when the electronic attack happened, the Times reported. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comAustralia politics live: speculation teals may form new party; Gaza flotilla activists arrive home
Allegra Spender and Zali Steggall said to be exploring ways independents can work more closely together. Follow todayâs news liveTeal party speculation ânot a surpriseâ says cabinet ministerMark Butler says heâs not surprised to see speculation that the community teal independents could form a party â with the political spectrum in âfluxâ right now.Theyâve [teal independents] obviously made inroads in particular communities in Australia. Theyâll make their own assessment about whether that works for them.There obviously is a lot of flux in the non-Labor parts of politics right now, so to see speculation like thatâs perhaps not a surprise. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comLabor urged to use anti-corruption commission appointment to restore public confidence in watchdog
Helen Haines says âthe clock is tickingâ on replacing deputy commissioner Nicole RoseGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastA key architect of the National Anti-Corruption Commission says parliament should consider new merit-based and independent selection processes for major appointments, urging the Albanese government to use an existing vacancy to restore public confidence in the watchdog.Independent MP Helen Haines, who helped craft legislation to establish the Nacc, sits on its parliamentary oversight committee. She said âthe clock is tickingâ on replacing deputy commissioner Nicole Rose, who announced her resignation this month. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comOverheated chemical tank in southern California âwill failâ, EPA chief says
Lee Zeldin says âlow-volume releaseâ of flammable chemicals is most likely amid fears of explosion at Orange county facility near DisneylandGovernment officials in Orange county, California, have warned that an overheated chemical tank âwill failâ and could result in a chemical explosion in the area, the Environmental Protection Agency administrator said on Sunday.âWeâre being told that the tank will fail, but there are different scenarios as to what that means,â Lee Zeldin, told CNNâs State of the Union on Sunday. Zeldin, a former Republican congressman with no prior experience in environmental policy, was chosen by Trump as the head of the EPA. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comNumber of suspected Ebola cases in DR Congo passes 900 as health workers face attacks and shortages
World Health Organization says outbreak poses âvery highâ risk for Congo, but risk of disease spreading globally remains lowCongolese authorities say that suspected Ebola cases have now passed 900 in the ongoing outbreak in the east of the country.The Congolese Ministry of Communication, in a post on X on Sunday, said there were 904 suspected cases and 119 suspected deaths. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comTrump says he does not make bad deals, but even Republican hawks doubt that now
The US has apparently had to agree to unfreeze billions of Iranian assets for a regime more hardline than before the warMiddle East crisis: live updatesOn 24 May each year, Iranians celebrate a historic victory in the war with Iraq: the liberation of Khorramshahr in 1982.This year, some were hoping a peace deal looking likely to be signed with the US might mark a similar turning point in their countryâs history. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comLabour to expand youth work experience and training schemes
Announcement comes after Alan Milburn says Britain has neglected generation of young people struggling to access work and training opportunitiesMinisters are expanding youth work experience and training schemes, after Alan Milburn warned Britain is spending ÂŁ25 keeping young people on benefits for every ÂŁ1 spent helping them into work.Pat McFadden, the work and pensions secretary will announce plans for 300,000 extra work experience placements over the next three years as Labour attempts to tackle what the minister described as a âquiet crisisâ in youth employment. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comRiz Ahmed says UK spies tried to recruit him on three occasions
Actor recounts three alleged approaches by intelligence services, including through senior BBC executiveRiz Ahmed, the Oscar-winning actor, has claimed that Britainâs intelligence services tried three times to recruit him, including one occasion involving a senior BBC executive.Ahmed, 43, said: âWell, itâs happened three different times and theyâre all slightly ridiculous, and this is what I mean by it, itâs just like inherently comedic. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comBridget Phillipson orders review of hidden childcare charges hitting parents
Education secretary asks UK watchdog to look into nursery practices, including non-refundable depositsBridget Phillipson, the education secretary, is ordering a competition review of hidden childcare charges amid concerns parents are being hit with extra charges, despite the governmentâs flagship expansion of funded childcare hours.Phillipson has written to the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) asking it to examine practices including non-refundable deposits, compulsory add-ons and restrictions attached to government-funded childcare places. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comGunman who opened fire near White House was known to Secret Service
Suspect who died after exchanging fire with agents had tried to enter the complex last summer, records showA gunman who opened fire outside the White House on Saturday before he was shot by federal agents was already known to the US Secret Service, court records show.The man, 21, was taken to a nearby hospital, before he was later pronounced dead. He had previously tried to enter the complex, according to an affidavit filed in DC superior court in 2025, following an arrest nearby. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com