ICE detains captain of New York boat that capsized and led to death of mother and daughter
DHS says Manuel Ernesto Hernandez-Umana is in US illegally after lying to border patrol when he entered in 2007The captain of a boat that capsized in the New York harbor, resulting in the death of a woman and her infant daughter, has been taken into custody by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), with the federal agency saying it intends to deport him.The deadly incident unfolded near the Statue of Liberty on 8 August. Authorities said a 911 call was received at approximately 10.25pm that prompted a major emergency response including multiple boat teams, a scuba team and a helicopter unit. Continue reading...
Sources & Citations
1 sourceMore Stories
The Chicken’s Neck and the Teesta: The next great test of India-Bangladesh diplomacy
• India and Bangladesh are facing a critical diplomatic test regarding the management of the Teesta River and the strategic "Chicken's Neck" corridor. • The situation is being exacerbated by climate change, which has increased hydrological uncertainty, alongside rising agricultural demands and intensifying strategic competition.
Read original · firstpost.comPress review: Ukraine crisis nears peak as Israel-Turkey tensions rise over Syria - Press Review - TASS
• Experts interviewed by Vedomosti on August 20th report that Europe's economic gap with the United States is widening due to lower labor productivity and structural challenges. • The decline is attributed to a combination of demographic issues, exchange-rate effects, and a heavy dependence on foreign trade.
Read original · tass.com
TASSWoman charged with planning IS-inspired attack on New York state capitol building
Jessica Bowie, 35, of Albany, allegedly planned to deploy explosive before fleeing to IS-controlled territory in SyriaUS authorities arrested and charged a New York woman with planning to carry out an Islamic State-inspired attack on the state’s capitol building in Albany, the justice department said on Thursday.Jessica Bowie, 35, of Albany, was charged with planning to deploy an explosive device at the state capitol with the intention of killing public officials and destroying “as much of the building as possible” before fleeing to IS-controlled territory in Syria, according to John A Eisenberg, assistant attorney general for national security. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comControversial California oil pipeline can continue to operate, judge rules
State sought to stop system off coast of Santa Barbara from resuming operations after Trump ordered its reopening A controversial oil pipeline can continue to operate off the California coast after a judge gave it the greenlight this week, despite the opposition of state regulators and environmental groups.The system off the coast of Santa Barbara resumed operations earlier this year for the first time in more than a decade after Donald Trump ordered Sable Offshore Corporation to reopen it, citing US energy needs during the war in Iran. It had been closed since 2015 when a burst pipe caused one of California’s worst oil spills, and its reopening was supposed to be governed by a federal consent decree. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comLindsay Clancy murder trial draws some 300 US supporters, many of them women: ‘nobody takes us seriously’
The attorney for Clancy, who strangled her three children, says she suffered from postpartum psychosisHundreds of Lindsay Clancy supporters, many wearing pink clothing emblazoned with phrases such as “Believe”, “She Needed Help” and “Peace For Lindsay”, gathered on Thursday outside the courthouse where she is on trial in the killings of her three children.Several of the 300 women, and a few men, said Clancy’s story resonated with them and that they wanted to raise awareness about how the mental health system treats women. Clancy’s lawyer does not dispute that she killed the children, but says she should not be held criminally responsible because she was mentally ill. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comFBI raids Eric Swalwell’s home amid sexual assault claims inquiry – report
Federal agents also ‘seized electronic devices’ from former Democratic representative at San Francisco airportAuthorities are said to have searched the Washington DC home of disgraced former California Democratic representative Eric Swalwell on Sunday amid an ongoing law enforcement investigation into sexual assault allegations.CNN reported that federal agents on Saturday “seized electronic devices” from Swalwell at the San Francisco airport, citing unnamed sources familiar with the investigation. Multiple other outlets have confirmed the federal search; the Daily Mail was the first to report this law enforcement activity. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comAcademic who accused Jason Arday of plagiarism suspended by his university
Researcher Nathan Cofnas previously claimed Black people would hold few high-profile positions in a meritocracyNathan Cofnas, the academic who made plagiarism allegations against Prof Jason Arday before his death, has been suspended by a university.Arday, 41, resigned from his role at the University of Cambridge this month after Cofnas accused him of plagiarism. The allegations, which were not proven in any formal investigation, triggered questions about Arday’s achievements. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comLeaders attack ‘demotivating’ plan to make pupils who fail GCSEs retake maths and English
Government announce plan for ‘stepping stone’ qualification as 620,000 year 11 students face retaking maths or English after failure to achieve grade 4The government’s plans to make young people continue studying maths and English if they fail GCSEs could be demotivating and ineffective, according to education experts and school leaders after retake pass rates slumped this year.Only one in seven students in the age group retaking GCSE maths after a previous failure got a grade 4 or above this summer, while only one in six managed to pass English, meaning the majority will have to retake the exams next year if they remain in education or training. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comUS aircraft carrier arrives in Middle East to relieve troubled USS Lincoln
USS George Washington will replace warship families say suffers from shortages, plumbing problems and low moraleThe USS George Washington aircraft carrier has arrived in the Middle East, where it is expected to relieve the USS Abraham Lincoln from its record deployment amid concerns about poor living conditions and morale.US Central Command announced on Thursday that the Washington arrived in the area on Wednesday, and posted an image of sailors working on the flight deck as the ship transited the Arabian Sea. No date has yet been announced for the Lincoln to return to the US. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comBBC’s Trevor Nelson recovering after brain tumour surgery
Radio 2 DJ, who stepped back from work commitments in June, says operation went ‘incredibly well’Trevor Nelson, the BBC Radio 2 DJ, has revealed he had surgery after being diagnosed with a brain tumour and is now on the mend.The broadcaster, 62, said in June that he was taking a break from work commitments to deal with health issues. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comMan arrested over Nord Stream bombing was consultant on film about it starring Sean Penn
Volodymyr Zhuravlev had been consulted on Snake Island, a dramatised reconstruction of incidentEarlier this month locals in Zagreb noticed something odd outside an art deco building. Sandbags and barricades appeared in front of the Esplanade hotel, along with a film crew and extras sporting Ukrainian military uniforms. Soon afterwards the actors Sean Penn and Adrien Brody were spotted on the set in the Croatian capital, together with Doug Liman, the Hollywood director of the Jason Bourne movies.Liman had come to shoot his latest fictional political thriller. Its subject: the 2022 Nord Stream explosions, in which a team of Ukrainian divers allegedly blew up a pipeline supplying Russian oil to Germany. One of the chief suspects, Volodymyr Zhuravlev, had twice eluded the Germany authorities: once allegedly slipping out of Poland in the boot of a diplomatic car, and on another occasion freed by a court. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com