Melbourne teenager Bianca Adler becomes youngest Australian to climb Mount Everest
The 18-year-old high school student reached the top of the worldâs tallest mountain on her second attemptAn 18-year-old high school student from Melbourne became the youngest Australian to climb to the top of Mount Everest on Wednesday.According to her Garmin data and a post on Instagram, Bianca Adler reached the 8,849 metre summit at nearly 6.30am Melbourne time, and nearly 2.30am Nepal time, with her guides, Pemba and Ngdu. Continue reading...
Sources & Citations
1 sourceMore Stories
Lax rules and rise in for-profit childcare allow predators to abuse children, NSW inquiry finds
Greens MLC Abigail Boyd â who chaired inquiry â says system âfailing too many children, families and educatorsâSystemic weaknesses in New South Walesâ childcare sector have allowed predators to work in the industry and abuse children, a scathing inquiry has found.In its final report, published on Wednesday, a NSW upper house inquiry into the Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC) sector found âthe proliferation of for-profit services and a lax regulatory approachâ had led to âpredatorsâ being allowed to work in childcare and abuse children. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comAlbaneseâs department among those blocking 80% of FoI requests, scathing report finds
Report finds culture of âresistance and delayâ in the Australian parliament with more than 60% of requests having longer response times than mandated 30-day deadlineFollow our Australia news live blog for latest updatesGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastA scathing audit report has found nearly 80% of freedom of information requests to Anthony Albaneseâs department, Treasury and the infrastructure department were rejected, creating a culture of âresistance and delayâ in the Australian parliament.The review of FoI administration found there was no consistent, transparent or accountable decision-making around requests and the pro-disclosure objectives of the law were being flouted. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comMiddle East crisis live: US and Iran trade threats but Trump insists Tehran wants deal
Trump says he could strike Iran again as Tehran threatens ânew frontsâ in war if an attack takes placeTrump threatens âa big hitâ if Tehran does not make deal soonWelcome to our live coverage of events in the Middle East.Donald Trump warned the US may strike Iran again â a day after he said he had held off a major assault in hopes of a peace deal â but Tehranâs army threatened to open ânew frontsâ if he went ahead.The US Senate has advanced a war-powers resolution that would end the Iran war unless Trump obtains Congressâ authorisation. The vote on a procedural measure to advance the resolution was 50 to 47, as four of Trumpâs fellow Republicans voted with every Democrat but one in favour. Three Republicans missed the vote.The Israeli military launched a series of strikes across Lebanon, killing 19 people, according to the Lebanese health ministry. One strike, in the town of Deir Qanun al-Nahr in the Tyre district, killed 10 people including three children and three women, the ministry said.The Israeli army in turn said that it intercepted a drone fired from Lebanon. Israel and Lebanonâs central government have twice extended a US-brokered ceasefire, but Israel says it does not apply to its attacks on Hezbollah.Israeli authorities said 430 activists aboard a Gaza-bound aid flotilla were taken to Israel after their vessels were intercepted in international waters near Cyprus. Sailing from Turkey last week, the Global Sumud Flotilla is the latest in a string of attempts by activists to breach Israelâs blockade of the Palestinian territory, with the last convoy intercepted by Israeli forces last month.Russiaâs deputy foreign minister, Sergei Ryabkov, said Moscow was ready to help with talks between the US and Iran to end the war, according to the Russian Tass news agency. His remarks came as the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, held talks with Chinese leader Xi Jinping in Beijing.The United Arab Emirates was rattled by a drone attack on its Barakah nuclear power plant last week. On Tuesday the UAE said it originated from Iraqi territory, where Iran backs groups accused of launching attacks on Gulf nations in the war. The UN Security Council on Tuesday condemned the attack. Russia, which often defends Iran, joined the other members.Two Chinese tankers laden with oil exited the strait of Hormuz on Wednesday, according to shipping data. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comLimit social media ban for under-16s to unsafe apps, Starmer urged
Campaigners warn against blanket restrictions and say focus should be on blocking teenagers from platforms with âriskyâ featuresOnline safety campaigners have urged Keir Starmer to block under-16s from accessing social media apps that do not meet strict safety standards, instead of implementing a broader Australia-style ban.The NSPCC, Molly Rose Foundation and Smartphone Free Childhood said tech platforms should not be allowed to offer âriskyâ features to teenagers such as infinite scrolling, disappearing messages and push notifications. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comAI engineer says Google unfairly sacked him after he protested against work for Israel
Exclusive: Employment tribunal claim says worker lost his job after distributing leaflets throughout London officeGoogle is facing a legal challenge from an AI engineer who claims he was unfairly dismissed after he protested against its work for the Israeli government, in the latest sign of growing concern about the social and ethical impacts of AI.The engineer distributed flyers around Google DeepMindâs London offices, which read âGoogle provides military AI to forces committing genocideâ and asking colleagues: âIs your paycheck worth this?â He also emailed colleagues about Googleâs 2025 decision to drop a promise not to pursue weapons that harm people and surveillance violating international norms and urged them to unionise. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comChildren in mental health crisis waiting up to three days in A&E for specialist bed in England
Nursesâ union criticises âcatastrophic system-wide failureâ in NHS as more under-18s getting stuck in emergency wardsChildren and young people in England having a mental health crisis are spending up to three days in an A&E unit before they get a bed in a specialist unit, NHS figures reveal.One childrenâs nurse who works in an emergency department said such long waits for under-18s who were in acute distress were âfrankly barbaricâ but âbecoming far more normalâ. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comScrap stamp duty and council tax to fix London housing crisis, thinktank says
Centre for London report finds levy on property wealth would free up homes, fund social housing and help renters save for depositsStamp duty should be scrapped and replaced with a new property wealth tax to fix Londonâs housing crisis, a leading thinktank has proposed.A report on the capitalâs property market suggests an annual tax to replace the levy paid when buying a property and council tax would encourage downsizing and raise funds for social housing. It would also help renters to save a house deposit. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comâAttainment at all costsâ approach could undermine Send changes, school leaders in England say
Union says emphasis on academic goals conflicts with proposed measures on special educational needs provisionChanges to special educational needs provision in England could be thwarted by âacademic attainment at all costsâ policies that prioritise exam results and punish inclusive schools, headteachers have said in response to a government consultation.The Association of School and College Leaders said the governmentâs emphasis on academic goals conflicted with its measures designed to help mainstream schools accommodate more children with special educational needs and disabilities (Send). Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comâA world-class producerâ: English wines toast record gold medal haul
England wins highest percentage per entry at International Wine Challenge, with Kent the countryâs best regionEnglish wines won the highest percentage of gold medals per entry in a global competition, with experts describing the improvement as remarkable.At the International Wine Challenge, English wines are winning more gold medals than ever. In 2025, the country won 10, but this year it was awarded 25.M&S Champagne Delacourt Vintage Blanc de Blancs 2017, FranceM&S Collection Barossa Valley Shiraz 2024, AustraliaExceptional Botrytis Riesling 2017, Aldi, New ZealandExceptional Asti NV, Aldi, ItalyFletcherâs LBV Port 2021, Aldi, PortugalTesco Finest Picpoul de Pinet 2024 Les CostiĂšres de Pomerols, FranceTesco Finest Barolo 2021 Fratelli Martini Secondo Luigi, ItalySainsburyâs Taste the Difference Rioja Gran Reserva 2018, CVNE, Spain Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comGeorgiaâs Republican races for governor and US Senate head to June runoffs
Keisha Lance Bottoms wins Democratic primary outright, while Republicans Burt Jones and Rick Jackson will face offThe Republican primary campaign for Georgia governor will go to a June runoff, with the lieutenant governor Burt Jones facing off against healthcare billionaire Rick Jackson â and locking out Brad Raffensperger, the Georgia secretary of state and longtime political enemy of Donald Trump who was on track to finish a distant third.The Republican race to challenge the US senator Jon Ossoff remains similarly unresolved, while former Atlanta mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms won the Democratic primary for governor outright. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comBroadcasters too reliant on vox pop interviews and failing to challenge politicians, says study
Researchers also question whether UKâs impartiality rules allow for proper scrutiny in era of multiparty politicsBroadcasters are letting down voters by relying on so-called vox pop interviews and failing to scrutinise political claims during election campaigns, according to researchers.The study by Cardiff University looked at how this yearâs national elections in Wales and Scotland, alongside the local elections in England, were reported on UK-wide television news between 2 March and 6 May. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com