Iranian parliament speaker says âno negotiationsâ held with US, as Trump postpones energy strikes for five days; European Commission chief says war must come to negotiated endTrump claims âproductiveâ talks with Iran but Tehran denies contactIsrael launches new strikes on Tehran as Trump pauses Iran energy attacksWelcome to our ongoing coverage of the US-Israeli war on Iran and its wider repercussions in the Middle East and globally.Donald Trump has claimed the US and Iran have held talks in which the two sides had âmajor points of agreementâ, and speculated that a deal could soon be done to end the war, a claim contradicted by Tehran.Trump said the threatened US strikes on Iranian power plants had been postponed after âvery good and productiveâ discussions with Iran about a âcomplete and total resolution of our hostilitiesâ in the Middle East. After hitting a four-year high, the price of oil fell dramatically following Trumpâs comments, while stocks in Asia rallied.Benjamin Netanyahu, meanwhile, said he had spoken with Trump, who saw a chance of an agreement with Iran, but added that Israel would continue its strikes against Iran and Lebanon. Trump believed there was a possibility of âleveraging the mighty achievements obtained by the Israeli and the US military, in order to realise the goals of the war in a deal â a deal that will preserve our vital interestsâ, the Israeli prime minister claimed in a video statement released by his office.Israel said it had launched âwide-scaleâ strikes on Iran on Monday morning, while Tehran continued to fire missiles at the UAE and Saudi Arabia. The Israeli military also claimed to have hit struck the main security headquarters of Iranâs Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as part of a âwave of strikes that was completed a short while ago in the heart of Tehranâ.An Israeli strike also hit Beirutâs southern suburbs on Monday, Agence France-Presse quoted state media as saying, hours after the Israeli army issued an order for residents of the area to evacuate. An AFPTV live broadcast showed a cloud of smoke over the densely populated southern suburbs, which are considered a Hezbollah stronghold and have not been hit since Friday night. Continue reading...
More Stories
But Trump administration will not return detainees deported to third countries in disease-struck regionThe Trump administration will temporarily pause the removal of refugees to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) during a spiraling Ebola outbreak, according to reporting by Politico, but experts say the move wonât help prevent the spread of the disease.At least one woman is now in limbo after officials moved her to Kinshasa, the capital of the DRC, and now say they wonât bring her back because of the Ebola travel ban â despite a judgeâs order for her return. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comNew strain of virus, aid cuts, and cultural norms around burials and touch add to difficulties in stemming outbreakThe warnings from aid groups and healthcare workers in the Democratic Republic of the Congo have been stark, their calls for coordinated international action impassioned.As the country reels from the return of the Ebola virus, there is growing concern that its fragile healthcare system will struggle to cope with an outbreak that experts say goes well beyond the number of confirmed cases. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comDepartment of Justice acknowledges the removal of news releases about criminal cases related to 2021 Capitol attackThe Department of Justice is acknowledging it has removed from its website news releases about criminal cases related to the 6 January 2021 Capitol attack, calling the information about the prosecutions âpartisan propagandaâ.The purge of news releases documenting criminal charges, convictions and sentencings is the latest step by the Trump administration to dramatically rewrite the history of the assault on the US Capitol, when hundreds of supporters of Donald Trump stormed the building in an effort to halt the congressional certification of his 2020 election loss to Democrat Joe Biden. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comThe US presidentâs reversal on calling for a safety review of new AI models is a green light for techâs unchecked powerOnly hours before Donald Trump was set to sign a long-awaited executive order on Thursday that would have called for a government safety review of new artificial intelligence models before their release, the president abruptly backed out. Despite growing public backlash to the technology and experts warning new models will pose critical security risks, Trump vowed the US government would not slow down the AI race.During a meeting with reporters on Thursday, Trump cited both American dominance and competition with China and as his reasoning behind the reversal. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comWait times of more than two hours reported at terminal for cross-Channel ferry to FranceFrench police have temporarily suspended extra EU border checks at the port of Dover as thousands of holidaymakers faced long delays in the hot weather.Wait times of more than two hours were reported at the terminal in Kent for the cross-Channel ferry to France. The delays come a month after the EUâs entry-exit system (EES), which replaces passport stamps with a digital registration, became fully operational. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comThreat of jihadism continues to lurk along borders with Mali and Burkina FasoThese days, when she is not organising the annual International Day of Reggae celebrations in CĂŽte dâIvoire, Rose Ebirim picks up litter scattered on the beach in the historic port town of Grand Bassam, 25 miles east of Abidjan. Both activities have become a form of therapy since the time she saw someone die.â13 March 2016 was a Black Sunday for me,â she said. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comMoves comes against backdrop of challenge by prime minister, Narendra Modi, to countryâs traditional elitesIndiaâs government has ordered one of the countryâs most exclusive private clubs to vacate its premises in two weeks, underscoring the long-running push of the prime minister, Narendra Modi, against entrenched elite institutions.The ministry of housing and urban affairs directed the Delhi Gymkhana Club to hand over its sprawling site in the heart of New Delhi by 5 June, citing urgent public interest requirements, including defence and security infrastructure. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comSwiss police investigating an alleged home invasion71-year-old sustained a head injury, says reportsSwiss police are investigating an alleged robbery amid reports that the four-times Formula 1 world champion Alain Prost was injured during a home invasion.The Swiss tabloid Blick reported late on Friday that the 71-year-old Frenchman sustained a head injury from intruders who forced his son to open a safe during the incident on Tuesday morning. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comPrewar US gas prices averaged about $3 a gallon nationally â kiss that number goodbye for 2026Sorry, US drivers, but donât expect pump prices to return to prewar levels any time soon, even if the US and Iran agree to a lasting peace deal tomorrow.As the war with Iran enters its third month, drivers have become infuriated by rising gas prices â and inflation â and Donald Trump is facing a historic backlash in the polls. The president promised recently that relief will be swift once the war ends. âI see it going down very substantially when this is over, I think very rapidly too, at levels that youâve never seen,â he said. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comExclusive: âDesperateâ man, in hiding after returning in a lorry, says he knows of 18 others from scheme who live in Britain covertlyAn asylum seeker sent from the UK back to France under the âone in, one outâ scheme has covertly returned to Britain and is now in hiding, the Guardian has learned.In the first interview with a one in, one out returnee living under the radar in the UK, the man told the Guardian his situation was âdesperateâ. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comAs Canada tightens asylum rules, refugees reuniting with family say they were turned over to ICE and jailed for months after failed border claimsAs each day in US detention passes, Markens Appolon can feel the life he had dreamed of slipping away.The 25-year-old fled Haiti to escape the rampant gang violence that upended his university studies in economics, and planned to join family in Montreal. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comDNCâs Ken Martin condemned for suppressing report for months and then admitting it âwonât meet your standardsâDemocrats belatedly publish 2024 election autopsyKen Martin, the chair of the Democratic National Committee, is facing mounting calls to resign over his shambolic handling of an autopsy report on Kamala Harrisâs defeat by Donald Trump in the 2024 presidential election.Martin suppressed the document for months before finally bowing to internal pressure and releasing it on Thursday. The slapdash nature of the autopsy, omitting Joe Bidenâs decision to run for a second term and failing to mention the words âGazaâ or âIsraelâ, has only deepened a crisis of confidence in his leadership. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com