No timeframe for ending US war against Iran, says Pete Hegseth
US defense secretary suggests Thursday will be ‘largest strike package yet … death and destruction from above’ Sign up for the Breaking News US email to get newsletter alerts in your inboxThe US defense secretary, Pete Hegseth, said on Thursday there is no “timeframe” for ending the US war against Iran and did not deny reports that the Pentagon could seek an extra $200bn in taxpayer funding.The military US-Israeli offensive began three weeks ago and continues to widen. Donald Trump threatened on Wednesday to “massively blow up” the world’s biggest gasfield after Israeli strikes on the Iranian site prompted Tehran to escalate strikes on oil and gas facilities around the Persian Gulf. Continue reading...
Sources & Citations
1 sourceMore Stories
David Lammy chairs first meeting of board set up to improve diversity among judiciary
Exclusive: Move to establish board comes after criticism that Lammy’s plan to slash jury trials will lead to increase in racial and class biasDavid Lammy and the most senior judge in England and Wales are drawing up plans to accelerate the recruitment of minority ethnic and working-class solicitors into the judiciary.A new judicial and legal diversity board, chaired by Lammy, who is the first black lord chancellor, and Sue Carr, the lady chief justice, has met for the first time to discuss removing barriers for diverse candidates attempting to join the judiciary. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comNews live: Australian flotilla activists released by Israel arrive in Istanbul and claim they were denied food and water
Eleven Australians were among pro-Palestine activists detained by Israel from the Global Sumud flotilla. Follow today’s news liveGood morning and welcome to Friday, we’ve made it. It’s Nick Visser here again to take you through the day’s news. Here’s what’s on deck:The 428 activists aboard the Global Sumud Flotilla, including 11 Australians, have now been released by Israeli authorities after they were detained earlier this week. One of those Aussies said they were in custody for about 80 hours and denied food and water, “but it is nothing compared to what happens to Palestinians”. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comTrump says he will ‘try and make’ son’s wedding, but timing is ‘not good’ for him
‘I have a thing called Iran, and other things,’ says president as he considers invitation to Donald Trump Jr’s nuptialsGet Me to the Church on Time, sang Alfred Doolittle in the musical My Fair Lady. But for Donald Trump, attending a wedding is not simple – even when it’s that of his son.On Thursday, the US president admitted that he might skip Donald Trump Jr’s nuptials, reportedly taking place in the Bahamas over the upcoming Memorial Day weekend. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comLupita Nyong’o responds to rightwing criticism of The Odyssey: ‘Our cast is representative of the world’
The Oscar-winning actor’s role in the mythical drama has been attacked by Elon Musk and others on the far right Oscar-winning actor Lupita Nyong’o has responded to far-right criticism of her role in Christopher Nolan’s adaptation of The Odyssey.In the big-budget film, out in July, the star plays Helen of Troy alongside cast members including Matt Damon, Anne Hathaway, Tom Holland and Zendaya. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comFeral horse numbers surge in Kosciuszko national park after pause in aerial culling, survey shows
Conservationists say population rebound demands rethink of retention zones that allow thousands of the animals to remain in the parkGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastFeral horse numbers in the Kosciuszko national park have surged, with new survey data estimating populations climbed by thousands after the New South Wales government paused aerial culling in 2025.Conservation advocates say the rebound in numbers demands an urgent rethink of retention zones that allow thousands of horses to remain in the park. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comDemocrats seize on Trump support for Spencer Pratt in LA mayor’s race
President says reality star a ‘big Maga person’ but backing may prove more hindrance than help in deep-blue bastionDonald Trump’s endorsement is typically a boon for candidates seeking elected office – a show of support, or disapproval, from the president has proved significant in races across the US this year.But Trump’s recent comments on the Los Angeles mayor’s race, just weeks before the primary, are sure to benefit Democrats. The president spoke favorably of Spencer Pratt, a former Republican and reality TV star who is polling second in the contest to lead America’s second largest city. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comDomestic abuse law fails to recognise danger of tech abuse, Lords committee told
Policy adviser Jen Reed says tech-facilitated abuse has become ‘increasingly prevalent’ and calls for its inclusion in Domestic Abuse ActThe Domestic Abuse Act fails to fully recognise the danger of technology-facilitated abuse, such as location tracking or hidden stalkerware, a Lords select committee has heard.Tech abuse has become “increasingly prevalent” and “very commonplace now within a domestic abuse context”, said Jen Reed, the head of policy at University College London’s Gender and Tech Research Lab, during an evidence session. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comDesigns for 250-ft arch in Washington approved by panel of Trump appointees
Approval marks key step forward for project dubbed ‘Arc de Trump’, which will be near Arlington National CemeteryThe Commission of Fine Arts on Thursday approved designs for Donald Trump’s proposed 250-ft triumphal arch in Washington DC.The vote on Thursday by the panel, which is made up of Trump appointees, marks a key step forward for the project. Next month, the proposed design is set to be reviewed by the National Capital Planning Commission, another federal panel that oversees planning for federal buildings and land. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comSingle sex toilets must exclude transgender people, says EHRC
Updated code of practice covering England, Wales and Scotland also relates to changing rooms and follows supreme court rulingSingle sex toilets and changing rooms in England, Wales and Scotland must exclude transgender men and women, according to a new code of practice from the equalities watchdog.But the long-awaited guidance also says that businesses and service providers have to offer practical alternatives such as gender-neutral toilets for people who don’t wish to use services for their biological sex. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comBoys convicted of rape get non-custodial sentences as judge says they should not be criminalised unnecessarily
Boys physically overpowered and then filmed attacks on teenage victims in separate incidents in HampshireThree teenage boys convicted of knife-point rape and other serious sexual offences against two teenage girls in Hampshire have not been given custodial sentences because the judge said he “should avoid criminalising these children unnecessarily”.The boys, who were aged between 13 and 14 at the time of their offences, physically overpowered and sexually assaulted the girls, who were aged 14 and 15, in separate incidents two months apart. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comMet Palantir row gets to heart of how public services should use AI
UK’s largest police force says Palantir is only company that can supply what it needs. Is that worth the controversy that comes with it?London mayor Sadiq Khan blocks £50m Met police deal with PalantirIt’s bot vs bobby. The row over whether the controversial US AI company Palantir should be paid £50m to help the Metropolitan police hits to the heart of how public services will be delivered in the coming years.A similar dynamic is playing out in hospitals, schools and town halls, but right now police chiefs are turning to AI to escape a fiscal bind. The UK’s largest police force is shrinking; a £125m funding shortfall means it faces cutting 1,150 posts. Scotland Yard wants to use AI to deploy Palantir’s systems to comb through human intelligence reports, email caches, phone records and the rest of the torrent of digital evidence trail left by 21st century crime. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comJeffrey Epstein assistant fiercely denies she was an accomplice and claims he abused her
Sarah Kellen told lawmakers that convicted sex offender ‘sexually and psychologically abused me … and gaslit me’Sign up for the Breaking News US newsletter email One of Jeffrey Epstein’s longtime assistants has fiercely denied she was an accomplice of the convicted sex offender during a congressional interview, claiming she was “sexually and psychologically abused” by the late financier.“I am here today to answer your questions, to dispel rumors and conspiracies, and to tell you the truth,” Sarah Kellen told lawmakers on the House of Representatives oversight and reform committee on Thursday morning, as part of its ongoing review of the federal investigation into Epstein. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com