Nuns who broke back into their Austrian convent ‘are step closer to being able to stay’
Plan for three nuns who escaped from care home last year to go to Rome thought to be positive sign of Vatican’s decisionThree nuns who escaped from a care home to return to their convent in a castle close to Salzburg where they had spent most of their lives are a step closer to being able to stay there, sources close to them say.Sisters Bernadette, Regina and Rita, who are in their early to late eighties, broke into their convent home in Elsbethen last September with the help of former pupils of the Catholic school at which they had taught and other supporters. Their case became a cause célèbre, attracting attention from around the world. Continue reading...
Sources & Citations
1 sourceMore Stories
Trump says peace deal with Iran largely reached with strait of Hormuz to open
Remarks by US president potentially mark conclusion of bombing campaign led by US and IsraelDonald Trump announced on Saturday that a peace deal with Iran had largely been reached, after calls with Gulf allies and Israel, potentially paving the way for an end to the war launched by the US and Israel in February.Trump wrote on his social media platform that “final aspects and details” of a “Memorandum of Understanding” are still being discussed, and “will be announced shortly” but said the strait of Hormuz will be opened as part of the deal. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comUK records hottest day of the year so far, with warnings of more extreme heat this weekend
Temperatures in Kent reached 30.5C, marking the first time since 2012 that the UK has exceeded 30C in MayThe UK has recorded its hottest day of the year so far, with temperatures reaching 30.5C in Kent as forecasters warned more extreme heat could follow over the bank holiday weekend.The temperature in Frittenden also marked the first time since 2012 the UK has reached 30C in May, according to the Met Office. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comNo refunds for 15,000 Australian ticket holders after Candace Owens’ tour cancelled
Rightwing commentator says she is hundreds of thousands of dollars out of pocket and claims she was misled by promoter RocksmanGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastNone of the 15,000 ticket holders for conservative influencer Candace Owens’ cancelled Australian tour are expected to get their money back from the promoter, after it spent all its money then collapsed.Owens herself says she is hundreds of thousands of dollars out of pocket and claims she was misled by the promoter, Rocksman, a company with links to the influential conservative lobby group Turning Point Australia. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comNew breed of political prisoner arises in Britain as anti-protest sentences rise
More people are being jailed in England and Wales as a result of acting to prevent climate breakdown and the war in Gaza, research revealsBritain has created a new breed of political prisoners through the systematic incarceration of people acting to prevent climate breakdown and the annihilation of Gaza, a report claims.The research by Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) and the protest group Defend Our Juries says that custodial sentences for acts of direct action or civil disobedience were once rare but are now being imposed with increasing length and frequency. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comGLA considering investigation into Zack Polanski over houseboat council tax
Official assessing formal complaint into Green party leader’s potential ‘breach of conduct’ as assembly memberLondon assembly officials are weighing up whether to launch an investigation into Zack Polanski after he admitted he may have failed to pay the correct council tax while living on a houseboat in the capital.The Green party leader has faced questions over whether the houseboat, moored in east London, was his primary residence. A spokesperson for his party had described the situation as an “unintentional mistake” and said Polanski had “immediately taken steps” to pay any tax owed. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comStephen Colbert hosts Michigan public access show day after last appearance on Late Show
Guests on Only in Monroe included Jack White and Jeff Daniels, with appearances by Steve Buscemi and EminemAfter his last appearance on CBS as host of The Late Show, Stephen Colbert continued his television hosting duties – on a public access show in Michigan.Colbert on Friday night hosted Only in Monroe in Monroe, Michigan, just one day after signing off from The Late Show. Colbert had been the host of The Late Show since 2015 and his tenure came to an end this week after CBS canceled the 33-year-old network staple, due to a “financial decision” by CBS’s parent company, Paramount. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comThree dead and 18 first responders sickened by apparent fentanyl exposure in New Mexico
First responders hospitalized and decontaminated after four people were found apparently overdosingThree people died and 18 first responders were sickened by exposure to fentanyl in a rural New Mexico home this week, New Mexico state police said.Police initially found four people unconscious at the home in Mountainair, 90 miles (145km) east of Albuquerque. Two were declared dead at the scene and a third died at a hospital. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comIran hosts Pakistani delegation amid diplomatic flurry to avert new US strikes
Tehran negotiator says there will be no compromise over its ‘legitimate rights’ during meeting with Pakistan army chiefIran’s top negotiator has said there will be no compromise over its national rights during a meeting with the Pakistani army chief in Tehran on Saturday, amid a flurry of diplomacy aimed at preventing renewed US strikes on Iran.Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Iran’s parliamentary speaker, said Tehran would secure its “legitimate rights”, whether through the battlefield or through negotiations, while accusing the US of not being an honest negotiating partner, Iranian state media reported. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comWhite House pauses removal of detainees to the DRC as Ebola outbreak widens
But Trump administration will not return detainees deported to third countries in disease-struck regionThe Trump administration will temporarily pause the removal of refugees to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) during a spiraling Ebola outbreak, according to reporting by Politico, but experts say the move won’t help prevent the spread of the disease.At least one woman is now in limbo after officials moved her to Kinshasa, the capital of the DRC, and now say they won’t bring her back because of the Ebola travel ban – despite a judge’s order for her return. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comTrump's justice department scrubs its website of news releases about January 6 defendants
Department of Justice acknowledges the removal of news releases about criminal cases related to 2021 Capitol attackThe Department of Justice is acknowledging it has removed from its website news releases about criminal cases related to the 6 January 2021 Capitol attack, calling the information about the prosecutions “partisan propaganda”.The purge of news releases documenting criminal charges, convictions and sentencings is the latest step by the Trump administration to dramatically rewrite the history of the assault on the US Capitol, when hundreds of supporters of Donald Trump stormed the building in an effort to halt the congressional certification of his 2020 election loss to Democrat Joe Biden. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com‘Every health facility said they were full’: alarm over rapid spread of Ebola in DRC
New strain of virus, aid cuts, and cultural norms around burials and touch add to difficulties in stemming outbreakThe warnings from aid groups and healthcare workers in the Democratic Republic of the Congo have been stark, their calls for coordinated international action impassioned.As the country reels from the return of the Ebola virus, there is growing concern that its fragile healthcare system will struggle to cope with an outbreak that experts say goes well beyond the number of confirmed cases. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comHow big tech got its way on Trump’s AI executive order
The US president’s reversal on calling for a safety review of new AI models is a green light for tech’s unchecked powerOnly hours before Donald Trump was set to sign a long-awaited executive order on Thursday that would have called for a government safety review of new artificial intelligence models before their release, the president abruptly backed out. Despite growing public backlash to the technology and experts warning new models will pose critical security risks, Trump vowed the US government would not slow down the AI race.During a meeting with reporters on Thursday, Trump cited both American dominance and competition with China and as his reasoning behind the reversal. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com