Pressure on Mexico after two ex-officials surrender to US over alleged cartel ties
Mexican president Claudia Sheinbaum denies any links between her Morena party and organized crimePressure is mounting on Claudia Sheinbaum, Mexico’s president, after two former top officials from the country’s Sinaloa state – both members of her Morena party – gave themselves up to US authorities over alleged ties to the Sinaloa cartel.The state’s former security minister, Gerardo Mérida Sánchez, crossed the border into Arizona last week and was taken into custody by US marshals, Mexico’s security ministry said. Sinaloa’s former finance minister, Enrique Díaz Vega, was taken into custody in New York. Continue reading...
Sources & Citations
1 sourceMore Stories
Prediction market Kalshi to give $2m to problem gambling group as it fights ‘gambling’ label
Kalshi announces two-year investment to National Council on Problem Gambling ‘focused on trader health and safety’The prediction market Kalshi, which maintains it is not a gambling platform, has announced plans to give $2m to the National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG) as it continues to ride a nationwide surge.While prediction markets allow users to bet – or “trade” – on the outcome of almost anything, from elections to sports to geopolitical events, the industry has vehemently fought efforts by state officials to regulate its platforms like those of conventional gambling giants. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comNo ‘tailor-made’ deal for UK if it wants to rejoin bloc, say former EU Brexit officials
Britain likely to face ‘warm, welcoming stance’ if it seeks re-entry but also a ‘hard-headed one’ – with no special dealsBritain would not be able to rejoin the EU on the special terms it enjoyed in the past, veterans of the Brexit negotiations have said.According to former officials from around Europe, the UK should not expect to achieve as beneficial a deal as it once had if it decided to begin negotiations on re-entry. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comICE officer charged over shooting of Venezuelan man in Minnesota
Christian Castro charged with five counts over shooting of Julio César Sosa-Celis in Trump immigration crackdownA Minnesota prosecutor on Monday announced charges against an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officer in the shooting of a Venezuelan man during the Trump administration’s crackdown.The officer, Christian Castro, is charged with four counts of second-degree assault and one count of falsely reporting a crime in the 14 January shooting of Julio César Sosa-Celis, Hennepin county attorney Mary Moriarty said at a news conference. A warrant was issued for his arrest. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comTwo women allege they were raped during filming of Married at First Sight UK
Former contestants claim there was not enough protection for cast during making of Channel 4 showTwo women have alleged they were raped during the filming of Married at First Sight UK, one of Channel 4’s biggest shows, and a third alleged she was subjected to a non-consensual sex act.The show did not do enough to protect them, the women told an edition of the BBC’s Panorama outlining their allegations. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comAndy Burnham vows to ‘change Labour’ in direct challenge to Keir Starmer
Expected candidate in Makerfield byelection says party ‘needs to change if we are to regain people’s trust’Andy Burnham drew the battle lines for the future of the Labour party on Monday as the Greater Manchester mayor promised he would “change Labour” and win back the voters the party had lost.Burnham, who is expected to be Labour’s candidate in the Makerfield byelection, claimed it would be no ordinary campaign and said he would make it about national issues where Labour was failing, in a direct challenge to the prime minister. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com‘It is heartbreaking’: panic in eastern DRC over return of Ebola
Residents of Ituri province fear spread of disease and economic impact of outbreak six years after the last“On public transport, in bars and at mass gatherings, everyone is talking about Ebola,” said Gloire Mumbesa, 38, a resident of Mongbwalu, a mining town in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. He said cases of the disease had been reported locally and panic was engulfing the area because of the lack of a vaccine for the Bundibudyo strain. “The fear is that this disease may spread to many other areas.”Residents of Ituri province in eastern DRC, where the World Health Organization announced an outbreak of Ebola last week, are living in growing fear of the possible continued spread of the disease and its deadly impacts, nearly six years after the last outbreak in the region ended. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comUS says American contracted Ebola in Congo as CDC announces new travel screening measures
Health officials to take ‘proactive measures’ in response to the ongoing Ebola virus epidemic in the DRC and UgandaSign up for the Breaking News US newsletter emailUS health authorities confirmed on Monday that an American has developed Ebola after being exposed during their work in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC); officials also said that they are taking “proactive measures” to protect US citizens in response to the ongoing Ebola virus epidemic in the DRC and Uganda.Officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed the case on Monday and said the individual was being evacuated to Germany. They developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive late Sunday, said Satish K Pillai, an incident manager for the CDC’s Ebola response in a press conference. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comOver 145,000 children separated from parents since Trump’s ICE surge, study estimates
About 36% of children whose parents were detained were younger than six, Brookings Institution study foundMore than 145,000 US children have likely experienced a parent being detained by immigration authorities since the start of Donald Trump’s second presidency, according to a new report published by a reputed US thinkthank.The report, released Monday by the Brookings Institution, estimates that about 146,635 children who are US citizens have had a parent detained during the mass deportation campaign the Trump administration embarked on after he retook office in early January. The study further found that of those children, more than 22,000 experienced the detention of all of their co-resident parents. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comLondon stabbing of journalist ordered by third party acting for Iran, court told
Pouria Zeraati, who worked for a dissident Farsi-language broadcaster, was attacked outside his home in 2024The stabbing of a journalist in London was a planned attack ordered by a third party acting on behalf of the Iranian state, a court has heard.Pouria Zeraati, a British journalist of Iranian origin had worked for Iran International, a Farsi-language dissident Farsi-language broadcaster, when he was stabbed in the leg outside of his west London home in 2024. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comMakerfield byelection is about more than Andy Burnham
If most popular Labour politician cannot win this seat then party’s electoral problems run deeper than Keir StarmerThe Makerfield byelection is bigger than Andy Burnham. Of the Labour MPs who were back on the constituency’s doorsteps in Hindley Green and Winstanley, just after an intensive local election campaign, many said the fight feels existential.It matters because it is probably the closest the UK will ever come to a direct presidential-style election, run through one single constituency and likely to decide the future of the Labour party. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com‘Disposable’ operatives for hire are a new menace for western countries
A court case in New York has highlighted how Iran is using technology to recruit agents who may not even be regime supportersWhen on Friday a 32-year-old Iraqi was brought before a court in New York to be charged with planning to attack Jewish community sites in the US, a curtain was suddenly lifted on a corner of a shadowy world.The detention of Mohammed Saad Baqer al-Saadi in Turkey last week revealed rare details of Iran’s efforts to use terrorism to sow discord among communities in Europe, the UK and the US – but also the outlines of an uncertain and threatening future. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comFarage claim he bought £1.4m house with I’m a Celebrity fee under scrutiny
Accounts for Reform UK leader’s media company suggest money was not withdrawn at time of property purchaseNigel Farage is facing fresh scrutiny over his claim that he paid for his £1.4m house from a reality show fee rather than the millions gifted to him by a crypto billionaire.Accounts for the Reform leader’s personal media company, Thorn in the Side Ltd, suggest that money was not withdrawn from the firm at the time of the house purchase. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com