Russian jamming blamed after Nato jet downs Ukrainian drone over Estonia
Officials from Baltic states say Moscow behind latest such incident but also tell Kyiv to be more careful with its routingEurope live – latest updatesA Romanian F-16 Nato jet shot down a drone over Estonia on Tuesday in what appears to be the latest case of Russian electronic jamming diverting long-range Ukrainian drones into the alliance’s territory.A local resident told the Estonian public broadcaster, ERR, that he had seen two fighter jets – part of a Nato force policing the skies over the Baltic states – flying in the area before a loud bang that brought the drone down. He said the drone had crashed about 30 metres from the nearest residential building. Continue reading...
Sources & Citations
1 sourceMore Stories
Trump endorses attorney general Ken Paxton in Texas Senate primary
US president calls Paxton an ‘America First Patriot’ and ‘MAGA Warrior’ ahead of runoff against John CornynUS politics live – latest updatesDonald Trump has endorsed the Texas attorney general, Ken Paxton, in the state’s Republican primary, bolstering his bid to unseat the incumbent US senator, John Cornyn.The US president praised Paxton, who has pitched himself as a political warrior for Trump’s Make America Great Again movement, as an “America First Patriot” in a post on social media on Tuesday. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comMarried at First Sight rape allegations cast spotlight on welfare of contestants
‘The boundaries of entertainment are always pushed for each series,’ psychologist says, as speculation grows over show’s futureThe pressure to keep audiences glued to hit reality TV shows is leading to participants being put in increasingly risky and exploitative situations, according to a psychologist and executive who have both previously worked on Married at First Sight UK.Two women have alleged they were raped during the filming of the show, which is one of Channel 4’s most popular and profitable programmes, and said not enough was done to protect them. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comWoman shot dead by police in Jamaica at protest over previous police shooting
Investigation launched as video circulates online showing officer firing at vehicle and colleagues dragging away bodyAuthorities in Jamaica have launched an investigation after CCTV footage of a woman’s fatal shooting by police sent shock waves across the Caribbean nation.Footage circulating on social media shows a police officer firing at a vehicle during a protest on Sunday in Granville, in Jamaica’s north-western parish of St James. The bullet hit Latoya Bulgin, 45, who was behind the wheel of the vehicle. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comTrades of Eli Lilly shares were made on Trump’s behalf as drugmaker benefitted from his policies
Filings reveal $220m to $750m in trades on US president’s behalf in first quarter of 2026, including securities linked to largest US companiesHundreds of thousands of dollars was invested in Eli Lilly on Donald Trump’s behalf earlier this year, according to financial disclosures, as the US drugmaker benefited from his administration’s bid to expand access to blockbuster obesity treatments.Ethics filings revealed several thousand trades on the US president’s behalf tied to stocks and bonds in the first quarter of 2026, with a cumulative value of between $220m and around $750m. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comDefense department watchdog opens inquiry into US airstrikes on alleged drug boats
Officials will determine if standard process was followed before lethal strikes in Caribbean and eastern PacificSign up for the Breaking News US newsletter email The Pentagon’s internal watchdog has opened an investigation into whether US military commanders followed proper procedures when conducting boat strikes in the Caribbean and the eastern Pacific.The office of inspector general at the Department of Defense is examining whether military commanders stuck to the standard six-step process the US military is required to follow before approving and carrying out lethal strikes, according to a memo initiating the review. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comNew York hotel workers union reaches deal to avoid strike ahead of World Cup
Eight-year contract between union and hospitality industry group will boost pay of hotel housekeepers to over $100,000A deal between a New York hotel union and an hospitality industry group is set to boost the earnings of hotel housekeepers to more than $100,000, as part of a pact to avoid threatened strike action during the Fifa World Cup beginning in June.The eight-year contract agreement between the Hotel and Gaming Trades Council – representing 27,000 hotel workers – and the Hotel Association of New York City, which represents 250 hotels, establishes 50% wage raises along with free family healthcare, increased pension contributions, new benefit funds and expanded rights at work, union officials said. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comSome West End shows could ‘go dark’ as Equity members back possible strikes
London’s biggest productions could be hit if industrial action over pay and conditions goes ahead, says unionSome of the biggest West End shows could be forced to temporarily close during a “summer of turbulence” in London after union members voted to move towards strike action over a dispute about pay and conditions.An indicative ballot held by the performing arts union, Equity, was overwhelmingly backed by its membership: 98% voted yes to potential strikes. The result means the union now has the right to have a statutory ballot on taking industrial action. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comMusk v Altman: tech bros at war over OpenAI – The Latest
A long and bitter legal battle between tech billionaires Elon Musk and Sam Altman has culminated in victory for the OpenAI boss. Musk has vowed to appeal the verdict. But what did the trial reveal about big tech and the global AI race?Lucy Hough speaks to Guardian US tech and power reporter Nick Robins-Early Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com‘Foolish’ CSIRO job cuts will mean Australia unable to provide climate projections to global reports, scientists warn
Exclusive: Science agency is planning to sack a third of the team working on the national climate model, sources sayGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastJob cuts at the national science agency mean Australia will no longer be able to submit climate projections to form part of global reports and will have significantly reduced ability to forecast future damage to the country, leading researchers have warned.Multiple sources told Guardian Australia that CSIRO planned to sack a third of the team working on the national climate model that provides projections relied on by governments, councils, industry and farmers as they plan for the future. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comAustralians with Down’s syndrome among those to suffer most from proposed NDIS cuts government analysis says
‘It’s heartless to cut supports we need to leave the house, work and study at a time when the cost of living has dramatically increased’, advocate saysGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastProposed funding cuts to NDIS would disadvantage Australians with visual impairment, psychosocial disability and Down’s syndrome the most, according to government analysis, with the government hoping to slash those budgets by 50% by the end of 2027.It also forecasts the cost of the NDIS will more than double in 10 years to $117bn, representing 2.4% of GDP, unless significant changes are made to the $50bn program. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comScrapping 86,000 new car parking spaces could save $5.2bn and drive down rents, Grattan report finds
About 40% of parking spaces under apartments in Australia sit empty, yet strict planning rules mean more unwanted spots continue to be builtGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAustralia risks squandering $5.2bn by building 86,000 unwanted car parking spaces in the next five years, according to research by the Grattan Institute.The report recommends urgent reform to planning rules, including scrapping a requirement for a minimum number of car parking spaces per bedroom for new builds. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com