US says American contracted Ebola in Congo as CDC announces new travel screening measures
Health officials to take âproactive measuresâ in response to the ongoing Ebola virus epidemic in the DRC and UgandaSign up for the Breaking News US newsletter emailUS health authorities confirmed on Monday that an American has developed Ebola after being exposed during their work in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC); officials also said that they are taking âproactive measuresâ to protect US citizens in response to the ongoing Ebola virus epidemic in the DRC and Uganda.Officials with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed the case on Monday and said the individual was being evacuated to Germany. They developed symptoms over the weekend and tested positive late Sunday, said Satish K Pillai, an incident manager for the CDCâs Ebola response in a press conference. Continue reading...
Sources & Citations
1 sourceMore Stories
Jewish man in hospital after attack by group of men in Golders Green
Victim in his 20s was beaten up in north London street having stepped outside to use his phoneA Jewish man is being treated in hospital for injuries to his face and body after being attacked by a number of men in north London.Police were called in the early hours of Monday morning following reports that a Jewish man had been assaulted by a number of men outside a property on the Grove in Golders Green. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comMan charged with murder after woman and two children found dead inside Sydney home
NSW police called to home in Campbelltown where they arrested a man, aged 47A man has been charged with murder after the bodies of a woman and two children were found inside a Sydney home.Officers attended the home in Campbelltown, in the cityâs south-west, on Monday night âfollowing a call from the home to triple zeroâ at about 7.50pm, New South Wales police said. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comPolice responding to shooting at Islamic Center of San Diego
People are believed to have been shot, said an officer, and Todd Gloria, the mayor, urged people to avoid the areaSan Diego police are responding to a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego, authorities said.Anthony Carrasco, an officer, said they believe people have been shot. Aerial television footage shows a heavy police presence outside the mosque. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comAaron Raiâs US PGA win inspires golfâs next generation in Wolverhampton
Championâs childhood coach recalls his early promise while a six-year-old fan hopes to follow in Raiâs footstepsThere was a real buzz and sense of pride at the 3 Hammers golf complex in Wolverhampton, the old stomping grounds of Aaron Rai, who on Sunday became the first Englishman since 1919 to win the US PGA Championship.It was the first major title of the 31-year-oldâs career and Rai described it as âtruly a dream come trueâ. âItâs phenomenal to think of how many things have gone into it and extremely rewarding to be stood here,â he told Sky Sports. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comPrediction market Kalshi to give $2m to problem gambling group as it fights âgamblingâ label
Kalshi announces two-year investment to National Council on Problem Gambling âfocused on trader health and safetyâThe prediction market Kalshi, which maintains it is not a gambling platform, has announced plans to give $2m to the National Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG) as it continues to ride a nationwide surge.While prediction markets allow users to bet â or âtradeâ â on the outcome of almost anything, from elections to sports to geopolitical events, the industry has vehemently fought efforts by state officials to regulate its platforms like those of conventional gambling giants. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comTwo women allege they were raped during filming of Married at First Sight UK
Former contestants claim there was not enough protection for cast during making of Channel 4 showTwo women have alleged they were raped during the filming of Married at First Sight UK, one of Channel 4âs biggest shows, and a third alleged she was subjected to a non-consensual sex act.The show did not do enough to protect them, the women told an edition of the BBCâs Panorama outlining their allegations. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comNo âtailor-madeâ deal for UK if it wants to rejoin bloc, say former EU Brexit officials
Britain likely to face âwarm, welcoming stanceâ if it seeks re-entry but also a âhard-headed oneâ â with no special dealsBritain would not be able to rejoin the EU on the special terms it enjoyed in the past, veterans of the Brexit negotiations have said.According to former officials from around Europe, the UK should not expect to achieve as beneficial a deal as it once had if it decided to begin negotiations on re-entry. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comICE officer charged over shooting of Venezuelan man in Minnesota
Christian Castro charged with five counts over shooting of Julio CĂ©sar Sosa-Celis in Trump immigration crackdownA Minnesota prosecutor on Monday announced charges against an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officer in the shooting of a Venezuelan man during the Trump administrationâs crackdown.The officer, Christian Castro, is charged with four counts of second-degree assault and one count of falsely reporting a crime in the 14 January shooting of Julio CĂ©sar Sosa-Celis, Hennepin county attorney Mary Moriarty said at a news conference. A warrant was issued for his arrest. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comAndy Burnham vows to âchange Labourâ in direct challenge to Keir Starmer
Expected candidate in Makerfield byelection says party âneeds to change if we are to regain peopleâs trustâAndy Burnham drew the battle lines for the future of the Labour party on Monday as the Greater Manchester mayor promised he would âchange Labourâ and win back the voters the party had lost.Burnham, who is expected to be Labourâs candidate in the Makerfield byelection, claimed it would be no ordinary campaign and said he would make it about national issues where Labour was failing, in a direct challenge to the prime minister. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comâIt is heartbreakingâ: panic in eastern DRC over return of Ebola
Residents of Ituri province fear spread of disease and economic impact of outbreak six years after the lastâOn public transport, in bars and at mass gatherings, everyone is talking about Ebola,â said Gloire Mumbesa, 38, a resident of Mongbwalu, a mining town in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. He said cases of the disease had been reported locally and panic was engulfing the area because of the lack of a vaccine for the Bundibudyo strain. âThe fear is that this disease may spread to many other areas.âResidents of Ituri province in eastern DRC, where the World Health Organization announced an outbreak of Ebola last week, are living in growing fear of the possible continued spread of the disease and its deadly impacts, nearly six years after the last outbreak in the region ended. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.comLondon stabbing of journalist ordered by third party acting for Iran, court told
Pouria Zeraati, who worked for a dissident Farsi-language broadcaster, was attacked outside his home in 2024The stabbing of a journalist in London was a planned attack ordered by a third party acting on behalf of the Iranian state, a court has heard.Pouria Zeraati, a British journalist of Iranian origin had worked for Iran International, a Farsi-language dissident Farsi-language broadcaster, when he was stabbed in the leg outside of his west London home in 2024. Continue reading...
Read original · theguardian.com