Democrats allege that conservative groups may be propping up campaign of Maureen Galindo for House seatUS politics live â latest updatesA Democratic House candidate in Texas is facing bipartisan condemnation and accusations of antisemitism after she said she wanted to turn an immigration detention facility into a âprison for American Zionistsâ if elected â leaving Democrats scrambling to ostracize her from the party and alleging that conservative groups may be propping up her campaign.Maureen Galindo is running against Johnny Garcia in next weekâs Democratic primary for Texasâ 35th congressional district, which covers parts of San Antonio and portions of the surrounding counties. The district was once solid blue and is currently represented by a Democrat, but the race remains highly competitive after being made much more favorable to the GOP following Texas Republicansâ mid-decade redistricting efforts last summer. Continue reading...
Bill Winters faced backlash over remarks about some of near 80,000 staff set to lose roles to AIThe chief executive of Standard Chartered has apologised for referring to some of the almost 8,000 staff that are set to lose their jobs to artificial intelligence as âlower-value human capitalâ.Bill Winters offered the apology after a backlash over comments he made earlier this week as the London-headquartered lender became one of the first major global banks to lay out plans to cut about 7,800 back-office roles, primarily in response to AI. Continue reading...
⢠E.J. Antoni, nominated for a senior position, faces potential confirmation complications due to extensive commentary on conservative talk radio and podcasts, including Steve Bannon's "War Room."
⢠Antoni has built a public profile as a frequent pro-Trump media commentator, raising concerns among senators about potential conflicts of interest and partisanship.
⢠Democratic senators are likely to question whether his media activities demonstrate sufficient independence for the government role he seeks.
Liberal frontbencher says he has âno interestâ in forming a coalition with Pauline Hansonâs party â a day after suggesting he might be open to itFollow our Australia news live blog for latest updatesGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastThe shadow treasurer, Tim Wilson, has said he would ânever, ever, everâ support a coalition government with One Nation, walking back previous comments that left the door open to such an arrangement.Urging the Liberals to âget on withâ setting out what they stand for, Wilson joined other senior party figures in rejecting any partnership with the rightwing populist party. Continue reading...
German defence minister responds to US presidentâs announcement that 5,000 US troops will leave bases in GermanyHello and welcome to our live coverage of events in the Middle East.The German defence minister, Boris Pistorius, said that it was âforeseeableâ that the US would withdraw troops from Europe, after the Pentagon announced it would pull thousands of American soldiers from Germany.Trump said he is ânot satisfiedâ with a new proposal from Iran on ending the war, as peace talks remain stalled despite a weeks-long ceasefire. Iran delivered the proposal text to mediator Pakistan on Thursday evening, Iranian state news agency Irna reported, without detailing its contents.The US state department said it was approving military sales totalling more than $8.6bn to Middle Eastern allies Israel, Qatar, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates. It came as Washington warned European allies including the UK, Poland, Lithuania and Estonia to expect long delivery delays for US weapons as it scrambles to replenish stockpiles depleted by the Iran war, according to a report in the Fianancial Times citing multiple sources.In Lebanon, 12 people were killed in Israeli strikes in the south, Lebanonâs health ministry said, including in the town of Habboush, where the Israeli army had issued an evacuation order despite the continuing ceasefire. Israeli warplanes âlaunched a series of heavy strikes ⌠less than an hour afterâ the warning, the state-run National News Agency said.The US Treasury Office warned that any shipping companies that paid tolls to Iran for passage through the strait of Hormuz, including charitable donations to organisations such as the Iranian Red Crescent Society, would risk punitive sanctions. Tehran has proposed charging fees on vessels passing through the strait, as part of a deal to end the war.Trump wrote to US lawmakers on Friday declaring hostilities with Iran âterminatedâ, despite no change in the US military posture, as he faces continuing pressure at home to seek congressional authorisation for the war.The state departmentâs announcement on Friday included approving military sales to Qatar of Patriot air and missile defence replenishment services costing $4.01bn and of advanced precision kill weapon systems (APKWS) costing $992.4m. They also included approval of the sale to Kuwait of an integrated battle command system costing $2.5bn and to Israel of APKWS costing $992.4m.Iranâs supreme leader Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei urged his people to wage economic battle and âdisappointâ its enemies, as the war and years of sanctions take a toll. In a written statement he also said âthe owners of damaged businesses should avoid, as much as possible, layoffs and separation of their workforceâ. Continue reading...
Foreign ministry says remarks of conservative podcast host Michael Savage that were shared by US president were âobviously uninformed, inappropriate and in poor tasteâIndia on Thursday criticised as inappropriate a post by Donald Trump in which he shared comments that called the South Asian country a âhellholeâ.The inflammatory post on Truth Social comes ahead of a planned visit next month to India by the US secretary of state, Marco Rubio, who is seeking to ease recent tensions between the normally friendly powers. Continue reading...
Home secretary accuses protesters of trying to âdelegitimiseâ concerns people have over immigrationShabana Mahmood has told âwhite liberalâ hecklers to âfuck right offâ after being accused at an on-stage event of copying the policies of Nigel Farageâs Reform UK.The home secretary was barracked by a man who said he wanted to âpersonally thank you for out-Reforming Reformâ during a live interview in central London on Monday. Two other audience members shouted ârefugees welcomeâ as the man was removed by security. Continue reading...
The former ballet dancer said Chalametâs comments were ârecklessâ in an interview with the New York Times in which she also discussed her violent childhoodActor and former ballet dancer Charlize Theron has joined the chorus of disapproval aimed at TimothĂŠe Chalamet over his remarks that appeared to disrespect performers of ballet and opera.In an interview with the New York Times, Theron said: âOh, boy, I hope I run into him one day,â adding: âThat was a very reckless comment on two art forms that we need to lift up constantly because, yes, they do have a hard time. But in 10 years, AI is going to be able to do TimothĂŠeâs job, but it will not be able to replace a person on a stage dancing live.â Continue reading...
Adam Mitula is acting as election agent for Reform candidates in three wards in Tameside area ahead of 7 May pollsA Reform UK activist in the Gorton and Denton byelection who was suspended over racist and antisemitic comments has been named as the election agent for three of the partyâs candidates in Manchester ahead of polls on 7 May.Adam Mitula, an interim campaign manager in the Tameside area, confirmed in February that he had been suspended as a party member âpending investigationâ. Continue reading...
Conservatives disowned Derek Bullock in 2023 after he allegedly used racial slur to call for people of Pakistani heritage to be shotA Reform UK candidate for next monthâs council elections was twice disciplined by the Conservatives over allegedly offensive or racist comments, while another shared conspiracy theories about Covid, it has emerged, as the full slate of candidates was confirmed.More than 5,000 council places in England are being contested on 7 May, along with several mayoralties, and elections for the Scottish and Welsh parliaments, in a significant test for all the major parties. Continue reading...
⢠Rachel Recchia from The Bachelorette broke down emotionally while discussing the intense hate comments she has received online.
⢠The reality star opened up about the toll of public scrutiny in a candid Us Weekly feature.
⢠Her story highlights ongoing mental health struggles faced by reality TV personalities in the U.S.
Anger in France after US president puts on French accent and mocks Macron during private lunch in WashingtonEurope live â latest updatesEmmanuel Macron has said Donald Trumpâs comments about his marriage were âneither elegant nor up to standardâ after the US president put on an accent and mocked his French counterpart and his wife during a private lunch in Washington.Arriving in South Korea on Thursday, Macron made clear his displeasure at Trumpâs comments, which appeared briefly in a video on the White House YouTube channel before being removed. Continue reading...
Staff urge managing director to retract comments after he describes industrial action as âplaying gamesâFollow our Australia news live blog for latest updatesGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastABC staff and union representatives have urged the managing director, Hugh Marks, to retract âutterly offensiveâ comments after he said staff had treated taking industrial action as âa bit of a gameâ.Marks made the comments just hours before the end of the 24-hour strike that saw more than 2,000 staff members walk off the job on Wednesday. Continue reading...
⢠General Services Administration proposed changes to the federal grant system on March 24, 2026, potentially affecting funding distribution.
⢠Updates could impact afterschool, summer, and educational programs reliant on grants.
⢠Public comments accepted through March 30, 2026, shaping 2026 policy landscape.
Chris Parry referred to members of neighbourhood watch group as âcosplayersâ after ambulance arson attackReform UK has suspended one of its key mayoral candidates after he described members of a Jewish neighbourhood watch group as âcosplayersâ and likened them to âIslamists on horsebackâ.Chris Parry, who had remained the mayoral candidate for Hampshire despite a previous controversy in which he said David Lammy should âgo homeâ to the Caribbean, made the latest comments on Monday about Shomrim, a volunteer group that safeguards communities including Orthodox Jewish families. Continue reading...