The person was on board the MV Hondius, the center of the outbreak that has claimed three livesCanadian officials said oon Saturday that one of the four Canadians currently quarantining in British Columbia after being exposed to the hantavirus while on board the cruise ship where the outbreak occurred has presumptively tested positive.Speaking at news conference, Dr Bonnie Henry, British Columbiaâs provincial health officer, said the individual developed mild symptoms, including fever and headache, two days ago, and that the individual and their partner, who had also been on board the cruise ship where they had been isolating together, were transferred to a hospital in Victoria for assessment and testing. Continue reading...
⢠The CDC confirmed 51 additional measles cases, bringing the nationwide U.S. outbreak to 1,893 infections as of May 16, 2026.
⢠The agency said all but nine cases were locally acquired, 27 outbreaks have been reported this year, and 92% of patients were unvaccinated or had unknown vaccination status.
⢠The outbreak is significant because measles spreads quickly in under-vaccinated communities, and the U.S. is now on pace to exceed last yearâs 2,288 cases if transmission continues.
⢠The Senate confirmed Kevin Warsh as Federal Reserve chair nominee, resolving a weeks-long standoff over Republican demands for a probe into outgoing Fed Chair Jerome Powell's conduct.
⢠Warsh's confirmation represents a significant shift in Federal Reserve leadership as the administration prioritizes new economic policy direction amid ongoing inflation concerns.
⢠The confirmation eliminates a major partisan bottleneck that had delayed central banking leadership decisions during a period of elevated business costs and consumer price pressures.
Warsh will serve four-year term as chair, taking over amid rising inflation and pressure from Trump to lower ratesThe US Senate confirmed Kevin Warsh as chair of the Federal Reserve, one of the most powerful roles in the federal government that holds enormous sway over the economy.The 54-45 Senate vote on Wednesday was split along party lines, with the exception of Democratic senator John Fetterman from Pennsylvania, who joined the Republican majority. Warsh was confirmed for a four-year term as chair and a 14-year appointment on the Fedâs rate-setting board. Continue reading...
⢠Energy Secretary Chris Wright stated on 'Face the Nation' that the U.S. military paused its ship escort operation in the Strait of Hormuz after Iran requested a halt to pursue peace talks.
⢠President Trump announced the operation last week amid Iran's blockade, but suspended it two days later following Tehran's signal to 'make a deal.'
⢠The pause supports a fragile ceasefire, with the U.S. now clearing the strait without active escorts, aiming to de-escalate tensions.
⢠Director Denis Villeneuve confirmed production on "Dune: Part Three" has officially begun, with filming taking place in Morocco and Jordan through October 2026.
⢠TimothÊe Chalamet, Zendaya, and Oscar Isaac are set to return, with newcomers Rebecca Ferguson and Austin Butler joining the expanded cast for the concluding installment.
⢠Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures have greenlit a 2027 release date, with Villeneuve stating this final chapter will "definitively conclude Frank Herbert's epic saga."
Peter Kyle did not dispute Timesâ report that under a âreasonable worst-case scenarioâ supermarkets might start running out of some itemsGood morning. âWe donât comment on leaks,â is the usual government response to an unsanctioned lobby scoop. But this morning Peter Kyle, the business secretary, took a different response. Asked about a Times splash saying the government is making plans to deal with possible food shortages in the summer, caused by the Iran war, he told Sky News:It is difficult for me, because, of course, these leaks are very unhelpful. But when people do read it, they need to be reassured that we are doing this kind of planning, and we are doing this kind of scenario planning.Britain could face shortages of chicken, pork and other supermarket goods this summer if the war in Iran continues, a secret government analysis has found.Officials have drawn up contingency plans for a âreasonable worst-case scenarioâ amid fears that the closure of the Strait of Hormuz will lead to shortages of carbon dioxide (CO2) which is critical to the food industry âŚI can tell you, because Iâm in these meetings, the prime minister has been there since the very start, and he is going through personally and driving deep dives into lots of areas of resilience throughout our economy.People should be reassured that we are doing this kind of action behind the scenes to keep resilience in our economy, so that when the full extent of what may or may not emerge, because this situation is still unfolding in the Middle East, you have a government that is acting with creativity and boldness.If any of these things change, I will be up front with the public about it in advance so that we can prepare. But right now, people should go on as they are, enjoying beer, enjoying their meats, enjoying all the salads.But also there are critical uses for CO2 â MRI scanning, for example, water purification; itâs involved in our nuclear industry, our civil nuclear power industry, some defensive uses for it as well. Continue reading...
⢠Researchers published the most thorough study of cosmic expansion in the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics on April 10, combining decades of research to derive the most precise Hubble constant yet while confirming that tension between early and late-universe measurements persists.
⢠The study, launched at an International Space Science Institute Breakthrough Workshop in Bern, Switzerland in March 2025, expanded the cosmic distance ladder into a comprehensive survey called the Local Distance Network, achieving a goal considered 'potentially unreachable' a decade ago.
⢠Study co-author Richard Anderson from the University of GÜttingen stated that the Hubble tension reveals that 'something's missing' in the current understanding of basic physics on cosmological scales.
PM says opening waterway is âvitalâ as he rules out any UK involvement in US moves to blockade straitGood morning. The parliamentary recess is over, the Iran war disaster isnât, campaigning is ramping up because the May elections are less than four weeks to go, and there will be plenty for MPs to discuss as they meet in the Commons this afternoon. The full timetable, as usual, is down below.Keir Starmer is in Greater Manchester this morning, on a visit linked to the English local elections. But he is expected to be in the Commons later giving an update on the UK response to the Iran war, and in an interview on Radio 5 Live a few minutes ago he confirmed that Britain will not join the US in enforcing the new blockade of the stait of Hormuz proposed by Donald Trump.Weâre not supporting blockade.The strait is shut or not free for navigation in the way it should be. That means that oil and gas is not getting to market. That means the price is going up. That means everybody listening to this is facing higher energy bills. And I donât want that to happen.I want their energy bills to be stabilised and lower. And so it is, in my view, vital that we get the strait open and fully open. Continue reading...
Visit with Camilla to take place in late April despite calls for it to be delayed because of US war against IranUK politics live â latest updatesThe kingâs state visit to the US is to go ahead next month as planned, Buckingham Palace has confirmed.Charles and the queenâs long-expected trip to see Donald Trump will take place in late April, despite calls for it to be postponed because of the ongoing war in the Middle East. Continue reading...
⢠President Trump extended the strike deadline on Iran's energy sector while warning that failure to accept current negotiation terms would result in "far greater military consequences," according to White House statements.
⢠The White House confirmed ongoing negotiations with Iranian leadership despite military operations continuing at historic levels, with Iranian leadership described by Trump as "desperate to negotiate."
⢠The Kennedy Center confirmed comedian Bill Maher as the 2026 Mark Twain Prize for American Humor recipient on March 26, 2026, days after White House denial labeled reports fake news.
⢠Maher becomes the 27th honoree following Conan O'Brien and Kevin Hart; he quipped, 'It's like an Emmy, except I win,' in a Kennedy Center release.
⢠White House communications director Steven Cheung called prior Atlantic reporting 'Literally FAKE NEWS,' and press secretary Karoline Leavitt stated Maher would not receive the award.
Mohammed bin Salman said to consider war a âhistoric opportunityâ to remake Middle East. Plus, Senate passes funding package for Homeland Security that excludes ICEGood morning.Saudi Arabia has urged Washington to intensify attacks on Iran, a Saudi intelligence source has confirmed, while it considers whether to join the war directly.Have there been reports of active Saudi military involvement? Not so far. But a Saudi analyst said the kingdom was likely to intervene if peace efforts led by Pakistan failed. Mohammed Alhamed said: âIf [Iran] rejects the conditions and continues its attacks, the threshold for Saudi action will be crossed.âWhat is the latest on the strait of Hormuz? On Tuesday, Tehran said it would permit ânon-hostile vesselsâ to pass: here is a visual guide.For the latest updates, follow our live blog.Why has there been no DHS funding? Democrats have blocked it as they demand changes to its immigration crackdown, particularly after agents in Minneapolis killed the US citizens Renee Good and Alex Pretti. Continue reading...
Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman said to view US-Israeli war as âhistoric opportunityâ to remake Middle EastMiddle East crisis â live updatesSaudi Arabia has urged the US to ramp up attacks on Iran, a Saudi intelligence source has confirmed, while it is weighing a decision on whether to join the fight directly.The Saudi source confirmed reporting in the New York Times, which said the kingdomâs de facto leader, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, has urged Donald Trump not to cut short his war against Iran, and that the US-Israeli campaign represented a âhistoric opportunityâ to remake the Middle East. Continue reading...
⢠Oklahoma Republican Senator Markwayne Mullin was confirmed as Homeland Security Secretary in a 54-45 Senate vote, replacing fired Kristi Noem to oversee mass immigration raids and deportations.
⢠Republican Rand Paul voted against Mullin, calling him a 'freaking snake' during hearings, while Democrats John Fetterman and Martin Heinrich crossed lines to support him.
⢠Confirmation occurs as DHS partial shutdown risks extending into April amid staffing shortages, with ICE agents deployed to airports to ease security lines.
⢠The Senate confirmed Markwayne Mullin, a 48-year-old former U.S. Senator from Oklahoma, as Secretary of Homeland Security in a 54-to-45 vote on Monday.
⢠Mullin replaces Kristi Noem, who was fired from the position under the Trump administration.
⢠Under Trump, DHS has focused intensively on immigration enforcement as a key policy priority.
Oklahoma senator, confirmed in 54-45 vote, replaces Kristi Noem to lead presidentâs immigration crackdownSign up for the Breaking News US email to get newsletter alerts in your inboxThe US Senate on Monday confirmed Markwayne Mullin to serve as secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, elevating the Republican senator to a role where he will be among the public faces of Donald Trumpâs crackdown on undocumented immigrants.The Republican controlled chamber confirmed Mullin largely along party lines, with a vote of 54-45. Continue reading...
⢠The US government approved a $4.3 billion deal between Tesla and LG Energy Solution for battery cells produced at a Michigan plant.
⢠Cells will power Tesla's energy storage products like Megapack, bolstering domestic supply chains.
⢠Approval highlights federal support for US EV and renewable energy manufacturing amid trade tensions.
⢠Elon Musk stated Tesla and SpaceX AI will continue large Nvidia chip purchases even as Tesla advances its AI5 chip, optimized for edge compute in Optimus and Robotaxi.
⢠Tesla's Terafab AI chip manufacturing facility is set to launch within seven days from March 14, potentially by March 21.
⢠Musk praised Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang, noting AI5's efficiency in half-reticle format could halve fab needs, with AI6 potentially matching dual AI5.
UAE and Qatar condemn targeting of South Pars gas field; Esmail Khatib confirmed killedIran threatens Gulf energy facilities after Israeli attack on its largest gasfieldFighting intensifies between Israel and Hezbollah in southern LebanonIran is still exporting millions of barrels of oil, with about 90 ships, including oil tankers, having crossed the strait of Hormuz since the beginning of the war with Iran, according to maritime and trade data platforms reports.This is despite Iran saying it had closed the vital waterway to vessels from the US and its allies. Continue reading...
Prime minister says no Australian personnel were injured and maintains Australia is not at war with IranFollow our Australia news live blog for latest updatesGet our breaking news email, free app or daily news podcastAn Iranian projectile hit near Australiaâs headquarters at the Al Minhad airbase in the United Arab Emirates, damaging an accommodation block and a medical facility.The prime minister, Anthony Albanese, confirmed that no Australian personnel were injured in the strike at 9.15am AEDT on Wednesday morning. Continue reading...
⢠Cuban President Miguel DĂaz-Canel announced on national TV that Havana has held secret negotiations with the Trump administration due to a U.S. energy blockade causing power outages exceeding 30 hours in some areas.
⢠The talks, confirmed Friday, stem from Cuba's economic collapse amid Trump's oil restrictions, pressuring the regime's 67-year command system.
⢠Secretary of State Marco Rubio leads U.S. efforts, blaming Cuba's leadership while Florida's Cuban American community demands multiparty elections and prisoner releases.
A U.S. military aircraft crashed in western Iraq on March 14, 2026, killing its entire crew of six, as disclosed by U.S. Central Command, bringing total confirmed American deaths in Iran operations to 13. The incident follows a prior refueling plane crash that killed four, heightening scrutiny on operational safety during escalated regional tensions. Pentagon officials cite mechanical failure pending investigation, while congressional calls grow for briefings on mission risks. Families demand transparency as recruitment challenges intensify.
A U.S. military aircraft crashed in western Iraq on March 14, 2026, killing all six crew members, as disclosed by U.S. Central Command via social media amid ongoing operations. This incident raises the confirmed U.S. death toll to 13 in the military campaign against Iran. The crash underscores operational risks in heightened regional tensions, impacting troop morale and public support. Investigations into causes and potential policy adjustments are expected soon.
Cuba's president confirmed his government held recent discussions with US officials as the nation faces a severe energy crisis attributed to the ongoing American blockade. The talks address humanitarian power shortages affecting millions, with blackouts persisting for weeks. US diplomats renewed alerts for Iraq but no direct link to Cuba noted. Observers see potential for eased restrictions if negotiations advance.
Cuba's president confirmed his government held recent talks with US officials as the nation grapples with a major energy crisis exacerbated by the ongoing American blockade. The discussions aim to address crippling power shortages affecting millions. This diplomatic outreach occurs against backdrop of US Middle East deployments drawing resources. Outcomes of the talks remain undisclosed, with energy imports strained.
Cuba's president confirmed on March 14, 2026, that his government held recent discussions with U.S. officials as the nation grapples with a severe energy crisis exacerbated by the American blockade. The talks focused on humanitarian aid and potential easing of restrictions, amid blackouts affecting millions. Cuban officials described the dialogue as 'constructive,' while U.S. sources noted exploring limited cooperation. Analysts suggest this could signal a diplomatic thaw with implications for regional stability.
Negotiations aimed to âfind solutions to the bilateral differencesâ between the countries, Miguel DĂaz-Canel saidCuban officials have held talks with the US government, the countryâs president, Miguel DĂaz-Canel, confirmed on Friday, amid growing pain inflicted by a punishing US fuel blockade and frequent power failures.âThese talks have been aimed at finding solutions through dialogue to the bilateral differences we have between the two nations,â DĂaz-Canel said in a prerecorded statement to senior Communist officials. Continue reading...